My therapeutic work with autistic & developmentally
different persons, there's some core principles I have developed.
a. Behavior is communication: They may be making a grave
mistake when they basically seek to close down or suppress with powerful
psychiatric drugs what they judge to be 'unwanted' behaviors. Behaviors, even
those may deem 'unwanted' may be for some the only means to convey their needs
or distress.
b. Presume intellect: Because a person is non-verbal or
struggles in communication does not mean they are not smart nor have nothing to
say. They must explore & utilize the strengths & passions of the person.
c. Relationship: To help autistic persons forge emotional
connections, navigate through the mainstream, & learn new skills, the key
is relationship. They must be willing to forge a bond with the person, to truly
seek to understand their experience, their world, how they find meaning, to
know them as a fellow human being. One time they forge relationship, they can
generate a common healing ground
d. Self-Advocacy: If they need to understand autism, they
must be willing to enter their world, not force them to enter our own. They
must be willing to validate self-advocates & seek knowledge about the
autistic mode of being from those who actually live it each day.
e. Respect: It is necessary for respect to exist & this
means as well that they do nothing to force, coerce, or manipulate the person.
They regard them as a person worthy of dignity. Our role is to advocate &
support, not seek to adjust the person in to something they are not nor need
be.
Do not see my disability as the issue. Recognize that my
disability is an attribute. Do not see my disability as a deficit. It is you
who see me as deviant & helpless. Do not try to fix me because I am not
broken. Support me. I can make my contribution to the community in my own way.
Do not see me as your client. I am your fellow citizen. See me as your
neighbor. Keep in mind, none of us can be self-sufficient. Do not try to modify
my behavior. Be still & listen. What you define as inappropriate may be my
try to communicate with you in the only way I can. Do not try to modify me. You
have no right. Help me to learn what I need to know. Do not hide your
uncertainty behind 'professional' distance.
Be a that listens & does not take my struggle away from
me by trying to make it all better. Do not use theories & strategies on me.
Be with me. & when they struggle with each other, Let that give rise to
self-reflection. Do not try to control me. I have a right to my power as a
person. What you call noncompliance or alteration may very well be the only way
I can exert some control over my life. Do not teach me to be obedient,
submissive, & polite. I need to feel entitled to say 'no' if I am to
protect myself.
Do not be charitable towards me. Be my ally as I fight
against those who exploit me for their own gratification. Do not try to be my
mate. I deserve over that. Get to know me. They may become friends. Do not help
me, even if it does make you feel lovely. Ask me if I need your help. Let me
show you the way you can best assist me. Do not admire me. A desire to live a
full life does not warrant adoration. Respect me, for respect presumes equity.
Do not tell, teach, & lead. Listen, support, & follow. Do not work on
me. Work with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment